Friday, January 16, 2009

New Experience

Tomorrow, Abby will be experience a first and I will visit a memory from 8th grade - now that was a looooooong time ago!! Abby will be participating in her first guard competition with the rest of the MC Winter Guard and I am going along as a helper/chaperone. I participated in guard in the 8th grade and planned to continue on in high school - but back then, they made us choose between band and choir - and you had to be in band to be in the guard. Well, I had been in choir since elementary and had one goal when it came to high school and choir - make Swing Choir. We had 3 choirs in high school and you had to try out for all of them. Typically, you moved up the ranks and if you were serious about choir - you wanted to be in Swing Choir. Our music shows were full-out musicals almost, props, lights, dances - we didn't just stand there and sing. And we had a pretty good reputation and did well at contests. So, long story short - 8th grade was my only year in guard because there was no way I was dropping choir in high school.

I'm looking forward to the contest tomorrow. I'm hoping it gives Abby a better picture of what it's all about. Right now, she's kind of "unimpressed"....along with tired and stressed out with school, guard, and basketball. She committed to finishing out the committment she's made - but next year, she says that if she makes the basketball team - she won't take on guard as well. I can respect her decision and I'm proud of her knowing her limits and taking responsibility...but, secretly, I hope guard wins out. I'll support whatever she decides to do...and who knows - she's 14, she could change her mind multiple times between now and next year!

I've got my assignment as a helper - a box with my name on it that I take on and take off the floor once the tarp goes down. I've got my mp3 player loaded with music for the bus ride and I've got my bag-o-snacks...I think I'm ready!

Wish the MC Guard luck - I'll try to Twitter a few updates throughout the day.

1 comment:

Casey R. Vincent said...

Angel I hope Abby does well today! I was in guard in high school and it was my life! Those girls were my best friends and we had so much fun! I hope she sticks with it! I played soccer and did guard at the same time and it was a lot but looking back I wouldn't have traded it for the world! I hope you guys have a wonderful day! Please post results and pics if you have any!!