Friday, February 20, 2009

Proud Mama

I'm so very proud of my 14 year old daughter today - she made a tough decision today that she's been struggling with for a couple of weeks now. Granted, it wasn't a major life decision - but it was important to her. It was regarding her involvement in winter guard - and she decided to drop it. She's really been struggling with this, as we have never condoned quitting - the policy has always been that if you start something and make a committment to a team, then you finish it (barring any major problems). Abby just wasn't feeling the whole Guard routine and the ridiculously long practices they have. And, when it began, she was also on the basketball team, so there was a lot of time spent at the school - usually until 8:30/9pm, then home to homework and shower. Some issues arose at the end of the basketball season, then she got sick and had to miss a guard competition...and well, let's just say, it wasn't a happy place for Abby anymore! I was kinda feeling guilty too because I pushed her towards Guard. She was conflicted about quitting because 1) Mom wanted her to do Guard, 2) we don't quit things, 3) she has a good, close friend also in guard she didn't want to disappoint, and 4) she didn't want to disappoint the director - or anyone else....but her heart just wasn't in it. I finally told her it was her decision to make and that I would support it either way. I'm just really proud of her maturity in the time she took to really think through this decision and her reasoning. She's growing up so fast...okay, better stop here before I start crying!!

1 comment:

Shelby-Grace said...

And I think Shelby is growing up too fast. She'll be 6 next week...I don't know what I'll do when she's turning 12, then 13, then 14....!! Sounds like Addy made a very wise decision!